Tuesday, January 24, 2012

EDP Item #41: expired meds




We have a 3 drawer bin where we have "organized" our various medicine. The top 2 drawers are for human needs and the bottom is for puppy illnesses.
I don't take meds for just any reason I tend to think there is usually a practical solution. Example: For headaches I usually shake my head just right in order to usually realize I am just dehydrated. Trust me, I have a sensor of some sort that tells me what dehydrated feels like by shaking my head. But,... when I do decide I'm in dire need of the good stuff, I find myself rummaging for 5 minutes or longer trying to find just the right thing. Often not the best time for a delay. I usually end up settling for something less than my initially projected solution.
I have been thinking about how we have innumerable choices of everything. Coming back from east Africa tends to make you see things a bit differently. For instance, I am fighting a cold right now and in addition to the five expired cough syrups and flu pills we already had, Carrie brought me home a new one by a company that I thought only made cough drops and vapor rub. Even they are in the cough syrup game now! But their version is mixed with bits of naturally Honey, because everyone knows that honey takes cough syrup to the next level. But these choices are in everything we buy and they don't bring me peace and convenience as promised. Instead only confusion and frustration. Can't they use the same rule we are using for Excess Depletion. "If you bring in something new something old has to go"

Reason: my Doc told me to toss any pills that are more than a couple years expired and any liquid that has expired fairly recently.
Destination: meds went down the drain or in the trash. That felt wrong for some reason. Packaging went in the recycle bin. Probably wasted 3 gallons of water rinsing out the containers though. Not sure how green that is. Especially under stage 3 water restrictions!!! Red alert!!!
Comment: most of these were actually more than 4 years expired. I will also add that I have still been using some of them until I decided to check the date yesterday. Don't worry,.. I'm fine. Anyone got any unexpired Dramamine you're not gonna use. I'm gonna need some for the trip to Uganda next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment